6/6/14

a tomatillo soup

we have this friend, Jared, who is a phenomenal cook. One time, Jared + Ciara (Jared's gorgeous wife) invited E + I over for National Margarita Day and, despite Ciara and I having to squeeze 3,000 limes for the margaritas, it was a meal that is completely unforgettable. Jared and I are kindred spirits in that we LOVE spicy food - like, so SO spicy.

Jared grows some of his own peppers so I always loved going over to their house because I knew it would be tasty and spicy and perfect. Jared made a roasted tomatillo-pepper salsa that night. oh. my. gosh. I had never even heard of tomatillo’s before and after the first bite, my whole life was changed. Now, whenever I see tomatillo’s in the store, I buy them. When I see them used in a recipe, I make it. When I see them on a menu somewhere, that’s what I get. I’m obsessed. When I saw this recipe on acouplecooks.com, my heart jumped for joy and I am so excited to share it with you! This one is for you, Jared and Ciara.

If you’ve never worked with tomatillo’s before, look for ones that are small, still have the husks completely attached, slightly brown, and are firm when you grasp them. When you peel them, they’ll be a little sticky but you can just rinse that off super easy!

Needed:

12 tomatillos
1 red onion
2 jalapenos
3 cloves of garlic
Olive Oil
Salt
4 cups Vegetable Broth
1 can black beans
1 can hominy
Cilantro
Black Pepper
Feta Cheese

How to Make:

Preheat your oven to 450.
Chop the tomatillos, red onions, jalapenos, and garlic.
On a baking sheet, place the chopped veggies and drizzle with olive oil to coat and sprinkle a little salt.
Roast in the oven until they are soft and noticeably brown, about 20 minutes.
While the veggies are roasting, rinse the hominy and black beans.
After the veggies are roasted, pour them into a pot with the vegetable broth.
Use a hand blender to puree the mixture (or put it in a blender.) I like to leave mine a little chunky because, well, I love tomatillo’s.
Add the rinsed black beans and hominy.
Add a few sprigs of cilantro and bring the soup to a boil.
Lower heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes and season with salt.
Pour into bowls and sprinkle with black pepper.
If you're a fan of Feta, I added some to mine and it was delicious!


adapted from A Couple Cooks

V

No comments:

Post a Comment