6/27/14

the easiest enchiladas

I have a confession: My name is Vicky, I’m 21, I love to cook, and I meal plan like C R A Z Y. I have a spreadsheet with my veggies, meats, cheeses, groceries, and random stuff separated out - a total nerd, right? I’m sure I will elaborate on that more later. There is one thing that I am more confident in than almost anything I cook - I make THE best enchiladas. I certainly wouldn't dare say that mine are authentic, Mexican enchiladas but for what I'm working with, I'm told I do a pretty good job. 

My very favorite enchilada's that I've ever made/fed to anyone in my life have been topped with Rick Bayless' Green Chile Enchilada Sauce. It's literally one of my favorite things I've ever tasted. Guess why I bought it? Tomatillo's. And that is why this sauce is perfection. The saddest news, though - I can't find it anywhere anymore! You can buy it online, which I might do, in bulk. I improvised for this recipe and used a jar of his tomatillo salsa which is still amazingly delicious. I would love to try my hand at homemade enchilada sauce - when I do, I'll be sure to share all of that tomatillo goodness with you!

NEEDED:
5-6 taco size flour tortillas
1 can ro-tel (mild, medium, chunky - however you like it)
1 can black beans
1/2 cup of corn (fresh or frozen)
1 cup cooked rice (I admit, I use 5 minute rice. Don't judge.)
1/2 - 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder (depending on how spicy you like things!)
1 tablespoon cumin
1 cup tomatillo salsa
shredded cheese

HOW TO MAKE:
Preheat oven to 350.
In a medium bowl, mix ro-tel, black beans, corn, rice, seasonings, a little bit of shredded cheese, and a little bit of the salsa.
Place in center of tortilla, roll, and place in baking dish.
Repeat until you run out of room/filling.
Top with as much or as little salsa as you like.
Add cheese to your heart's desire.
Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is melted and the edges are browned.
DONE.
The easiest, quickest recipe. I love to leave mine in a little longer because I love the taste of crunchy tortilla's around the edge. Totally up to you, though!


No comments:

Post a Comment